May 09, 2009

Cake, a Party and all that jazz

I like to think of myself as somewhat of a crafty person. Or at least I like to explore the crafting realm... I like to scrapbook, I like to crochet, I've tried my hand (not very successfully) at some sewing in the past, I love taking photos (duh), I could browse a Michael's or a JoAnn's for hours some day and come up with tons of things I'd just like to try.

My Mom (have I mentioned how awesome she is before?) knowing that about me, decided to help get me into yet another set of crafting related projects; cake making. She knew that I really was excited about doing Noah's first birthday cake (if you saw pictures of my fantastic clown first birthday cake you'd understand why) and part of my birthday present this year was a set of beginning items for cake making and a gift card to go and get all the other things I might need to get myself involved in cake making.

So I thought that scraping had lots of fun toys, but cake making, dang! There is more "stuff" to try then I could ever make cakes for. So using my gift card I've picked and chosen and got lots of fun new things to try. I made my first official cake yesterday. There's a picture below, you can judge my work :) Funny side note... The cake was for Dan and Cameron's graduation with their masters degree. When you get your masters, you then get a two-colored "hood" to wear with your gown. One color represents the degree and one color represents the college you graduated from. Cameron & Dan got their engineering degree, which is orange , so the inside of the cake is orange. And FIT's color is crimson. So the cake is supposed to be red. I know it looked kind of pink... I tried :-p

We headed up to Beth & Dan's last night for the party. I don't think I told her last night but I'm not always the biggest BBQ fan, but Beth made pulled pork last night and it was killer. Then the girls went shopping for a bit while the boys stayed and played the Wii. Ray brought up Wii fit, and it was funny watching some of the games. Melissa is a kick-butt hula-hooper, I have to say ;-)

I thought we took more pictures last night, but apparently not. Sorry about that... I'm sure others will be uploading theirs today so I will try to grab a few more and post them later at some point. I know Justin especially had some great pictures of Noah. Everyone was laughing about how much of a cheese Noah is when he sees a camera. I'm going to be scheduling his one year picture here pretty soon and I have no doubt there'll be plenty of good shots to choose from with that kiddo. Until then, I'm out of here to enjoy the day. I knew I wanted to post this morning (what a beautiful morning it is here in Florida, too!) just to keep everyone up to date. Enjoy the pictures!

Noah looked so handsome last night!

My first cake

Oh my goodness, it's a Kristi sighting! (And Beth, too!)

No comments: